Friday, February 27, 2009


Walking around the pits in the Verizon Wireless Arena, it's impressive to see how enthusiastic and bright these high schoolers are. This is nothing like my high school science fair. When I was in the eigth grade, I did a project on electric chairs. When the judges came by to inspect my project, they weren't very impressed. I stuck one of those big red Christmas tree lights into a Barbie Doll head, and when you flipped on the power, Barbie kinda, well...nevermind. Did I say the judges weren't impressed?


The kids here, however, WOW! They are really bright. Take Melissa Kelly, a senior at Pembroke Academy, Pembroke, N.H., for example. Melissa has been involved in FIRST for the past 13 years. She started with the program when she was just a tike. Her father is the team coach and a science teacher, and Melissa isn't far behind. She will be attending Worcester Polytechnic Institute in fall of 2009.